A new holistic approach for Studying Blockchain-based Intellectual Property Rights Ecosystem
The material was received by the Editorial Board: 20/12/2018Abstract
This study aims at proposing and analysing a new holistic approach for studying Blockchain-based intellectual property rights (IPRs) ecosystem, since Blockchain technology has a potential to revolutionize the conventional intellectual property rights system and overcome problems of this system associated with rights protection, securing trade secrets, claiming copyrights, proving prior use, and data availability. In this study documentary research method (DSM) is used to build a comprehensive framework including all possible components and stakeholders in the intellectual property rights system. This framework illustrates the workflow
scheme of a Blockchain-based IPRs platform. The introduced approach in this study consists of several steps, beginning with identifying stakeholders and ending
with designing the mechanism by which the Blockchain-based IPRs platform works. This study introduces this new approach in order to draw roadmap for deploying Blockchain technology in the current intellectual property rights system. Moreover, this study provides policy makers with procedural details guiding them
to make optimal policies related to using this new technology.
Blockchain Technology, Intellectual Property Rights, IPRs System, Blockchain-based IPRs Platform, Proof of Work, Proof of Stake
- Alabi, K. Digital blockchain networks appear to be following Metcalfe’s Law. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 2017, vol. 24, p. 23–29. DOI 10.1016/J.ELERAP.2017.06.003
- Alnafrah I., Al Naimi K., Ahmad M. A comparative analysis of national innovation systems’ structures and their developmental impacts (Evidences from BRICS countries). Scientific Journal NRU ITMO. Series: Economics and Environmental Management, 2018, no. 1 (32), p. 13–20.
- Dang J., Kang B., Ding K. International protection of standard essential patents. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 2018. In press. DOI 10.1016/J.TECHFORE.2018.06.039
- Efanov D., Roschin P. The All-Pervasiveness of the Blockchain Technology. Procedia Computer Science, 2018, no. 123, p.116–121.
- Furukawa Y. Intellectual property protection and innovation: An inverted-U relationship. Economics Letters, 2010, vol. 109 (2), p. 99–101.
- Glaeser S. The effects of proprietary information on corporate disclosure and transparency: Evidence from trade secrets. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2018, vol. 66 (1), p. 163–193. DOI 10.1016/J.JACCECO.2018.04.002
- Goldenfein J., Leiter A. Legal Engineering on the Blockchain: ‘Smart Contracts’ as Legal Conduct. Law and Critique, 2018, vol. 29 (2), p. 141–149.
- Hileman G., Rauchs M. Global Blockchain Benchmarking Study. Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance, 2017. P. 1–122.
- Lindman J., Tuunainen V. K., Rossi M. Opportunities and risks of Blockchain Technologies – a research agenda. 2017.
- Liu S. H., Liao H. L., Pi S. M., Hu J. W. Development of a Patent Retrieval and Analysis Platform – A hybrid approach. Expert systems with applications, 2011, vol. 38 (6), p. 7864–7868.
- Mougayar W. The business blockchain: promise, practice, and application of the next Internet technology. John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
- Nærland K., Müller-Bloch C., Beck R., Palmund S. Blockchain to Rule the Waves-Nascent Design Principles for Reducing Risk and Uncertainty in Decentralized Environments. ICIS. 2017.
- Nakamoto S. Bitcoin: A peer-to-peer electronic cash system. 2008.
- Savelyev A. Copyright in the blockchain era: Promises and challenges. Computer Law & Security Review, 2018, vol. 34 (3), p. 550–561.
- Sweet C. M., Maggio D. S. E. Do stronger intellectual property rights increase innovation? World Development, 2015, vol. 66, p. 665–677.
- Tapscott D., Tapscott A. Realizing the Potential of Blockchain. A Multistakeholder Approach to the Stewardship of Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies. In: World Economic Forum White Paper, 2017, June.
- WIPO. World Intellectual Property Indicators. 2017.
- Bogdanova E. L., Alnafrah I. Analysis impact structure of national innovation system factors on the development process in Russia. Izvestia of Volgograd State Technical University, 2017, vol. 15 (210), p. 19–25. (in Russ.)
References: Alnafrah Ibrahim, Bogdanova E.L. A new holistic approach for Studying Blockchain-based Intellectual Property Rights Ecosystem. World of Economics and Management. 2019, vol. 19, no. 1. С. 133–140. DOI: 10.25205/2542-0429-2019- 19-1-133-140